Posts tagged ‘salad’
With all the greens, tomatoes and onions we get in our $2 Produce Bags, I’ve been eating a lot of salad! One of my favorite “dressings’ is acutally hummus and other bean based spreads. They add a lot of flavor and nutrition to the salad compared to traditional dressings.
If you have a food processor, it is super easy and cheap to make your own hummus! I’ve made a couple changes to traditional hummus by using peanut butter instead of tahini. Just make sure you don’t use peanut butter that has sugar. Natural Peanut Butter will have oil on top and a quick tip is to store the bottle up side down before you open it which will make it easier to stir. You can cook your own beans/chickpeas or used canned. If you use canned, you can heat them up in the microwave first so they’ll be hot. If you don’t like heat, you can omit the Chipotle and add some Chili Powder.
- 2 large cloves garlic
- 1 t Tony’s creole seasoning
- ¼ t cumin
- ¼ t coriander
- 2 c HOT chickpeas (reserve ½ c cooking liquid)
- 1-2 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce or 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 4 T tahini or peanut butter
- 2-4 T chickpea cooking liquid as needed or Olive Oil if you aren’t watching your calories
- Juice of 2 limes ( around 3 T )
- ¼ c chopped cilantro (optional)
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Pulse garlic and tony’s in food processor until garlic paste is formed
- add the rest of the ingredients and puree until totally smooth
- Taste and adjust seasoning. Add more lime juice if needed.
Another way I love eating hummus is rolled up in greens. You can use Collards, Lettuce, Kale or Chard.